Friday, October 1, 2010

How Does One Choose an Album Title?

I was standing in the vocal booth in the studio last week & we were finishing the final vocal tracking for the album. Then it hit me - My album has NO NAME.

*Insert blood curdling scream here.

Like fate, I thought the perfect album title would just hit me somewhere throughout the recording process. You know, like I would be standing in the studio, working on tracking or mixing, and someone would say it aloud & I'd just know *sigh. So romantic, eh?
But that never happened. In fact, I un-romantically obsessed over it for months. Should I self title it? Or is that too obvious? Too self-centered? What about an abstract lyric - something like "My Way Back" or "Know Who You Are." Too cheesy. I was so lost that I was considering random phrases not even in the lyrics, just things I associated somewhat with the writing of some of the songs - "Take Flight" was in the running. BLEGH! I was losing my mind.


I needed something powerful - something that feels like this album. Something that I can live with forever. Something that I am comfortable letting it be the first- and possibly only impression someone has of me. And then, 3 days AFTER finishing tracking, it did hit me. Isn't that just like fate, to smack you at the last minute with something so fitting? So here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the title of my first full length studio album, chosen not only because it is the most personal song on the record, but because it is powerful, it is honest and it is genuinely what this album means to me...


100 Strong



1 comment: