Thursday, September 16, 2010

To American Idol, or not to American Idol?


Last month the American Idol Hooplah traveled through San Francisco. Now, let me start by saying that my feelings about AI have been back & forth since it's been on the air. I just loved the first season & still have a warm spot in my heart for Kelly Clarkson (despite the "From Justin to Kelly" blunder). But the competition aspect got old quick... and they lost me for a few years. That is, until Ms. Underwood took the stage. Who doesn't love Carrie!? Since then, I'll love an episode here, or a song there, but I'm not consistently setting my DVR. I'm one of the few that wishes they spent more time on the top 10 talented people, and less time on the total wackjob's they make fun of for the first 10 episodes of the season. It was a step in the right direction when they started allowing the contestants to play instruments - but I'm still waiting for the day when they'll allow them to sing their own songs.

So when a few friends asked if I was going to audition this year - I had to consider it. I've auditioned in the past (which was before I was consistently writing my own music & performing my own music), and it was a completely wretched experience! I'm talking 16 hours in line, outside in NYC, eating whatever semi-nutritious thing I could find at Duane Reade, only to sing not 10 seconds of a song. Then to be told "You've got a great voice - come back next year." Ridiculous! Needless to say, I wasn't keen on the idea of auditioning again this year.

So the registration day rolls around, and its 8am in the morning - I'm on my computer & a friend G-chats to ask if I've gone to register. After chatting for a few minutes I thought - well its only a few blocks away... and next thing I know I'm down at AT&T park surrounded by teenagers dressed like wanna be Miley Cyrus'. Luckily it only took 10 minutes to get registered, because I had gone after the morning rush - but getting back there at 5am on audition day was another thing entirely. I spent the next 48 hours thinking about what an "American Idol" experience would consist of. Sure, if by some magic charm of luck I made it through to the top-whatever-number-people-pay-attention-to, I'd have some kind of recognition. But would I really want to sing covers for 3 months? Drop the promotion of the release of my own album? And what would happen to that album? Could I still release it? Or would I be leashed to whatever major label American Idol works with? And let's be honest - what happens after that 15 minutes? I'd record some shitty songs that someone else wrote and hope they take off? Or worse, what if my consolation prize was doing that god-awful "Idol Tour" they make the top 10 do every year? Could you imagine an entire tour of singing Journey & Whitney Houston?

And that was the moment I ripped off the silly wristband and tossed my ticket. If I'm doing this music thing, it'll be on my own terms. No Ryan Seacrest necessary.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! that's Powerful, Whitney! I LOVE IT! You are clear, confident, and already there! finding what you love to do is the hardest part...now everything else can line up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Rachel! I soooo appreciate your support :)

    ReplyDelete